CHICKPEA DUMPLINGS IN CURRY TOMATO SAUCE
adapted from Saveur Issue 156
- 1 cup chickpea flour (also called Garbanzo bean flour)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/3 cup greek yogurt (use soy yogurt to make vegan)
- 2 serrano chilis, seeds removed and minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 28 ounce can of whole tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (or 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled & grated)
- Cooked rice
Heat 1 Tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or saucepan over medium. Add coriander, mustard, and cumin seeds; cook for about a minute or until they begin to pop. Add curry powder, one serrano pepper, and 1/2 the onion. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until softened. Add tomatoes (with juice from the can), turmeric, ginger, and a cup of water. Bring to a boil and then let simmer for ten minutes or until it has thickened up.
While simmering, combine the rest of the serranos, onions, chickpea flour, cilantro, oil, yogurt, and salt in a bowl. Stir until a thick dough has formed.
Drop a heaping tablespoon of dough into the stew; repeat with the rest of the dough. Cover mixture and let steam / simmer for another 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat.
Enjoy right away with cilantro and yogurt as garnish.